These days, solar energy and other sources of renewable energy are increasingly becoming a hot topic all over the world. Indeed, installing and using solar panels could help your home significantly reduce the electricity expenses and they eventually pay off themselves in the long run. So if you are planning to add solar panels into your roof as a part of the green home renovation, here are a couple of interesting facts you need to know.
- The word “solar energy” basically means to harness and make use of the energy from the sun to keep your home powered, such as to heat water or to create electricity.
- Solar cells were first “discovered” by William Adams in 1876.
- Just like hydropower or wind power, solar power is often considered to be a renewable source of energy, meaning you can use them without worrying about exhaustion like fossil fuels.
- Solar energy could not be used only to heat your house, but it could also be used to power RVs and lighting, as well as heat the water in your swimming pools during the winter.
- Photovoltaic panels, also known as PVs, are the advanced technology which is needed to transform solar energy or sunlight into electricity. The efficiency of these units is approximately 15 per cent. If you think that is a low level, keep in mind that plants can convert energy from the sun with an efficiency rate at only 3 per cent.
- A system of solar power might be installed alone or connected to the electrical grid. The idea of “net metering” will enable you to produce and sell your electricity created from the solar system to the electricity firm. This means the company will pay you rather than you own them a bill each month.
- Just like electricity, solar power is basically measured in kilowatt hours or kWh.
- Battery power can make it possible for everyone to utilise stored solar power, even during the night.
- The option to use passive solar designs tend to less expensive than installing and setting up solar panels. For example, you can orient your home and windows properly to capture direct sunlight and heat a space. This can be very effective in reducing the heating and cooling bills each month.
- State and federal tax credits are often provided for those who plan to set up solar energy units in their households.
- Solar panels require low maintenance and would last for more than 3 decades. In most cases, guarantees usually cover these lengths of time as well.
- Panels might be installed on your roofing system on a pole positioned in the yard.
- Most solar power systems are often costly, but as you could see, they will provide your home with many benefits in the long run.
With these interesting facts from solar power website, you could have a basic understanding of whether it is a suitable option for your house.